Today I helped to host and facilitate the latest half-day symposium with my colleagues on the Board of Directors of the TDWI New York Chapter. The event's topic was "A Game-Changing Strategy for Data Management and Self-Service Business Intelligence." The keynote by Emil Werr, Chief Architect for Data Management & Analytics at JPMorgan Chase, was on point. The panel discussion that followed was interesting as well.
As I reflect on the day's event, my sense is that the more organizations focus on innovating and adapting to new data sources and technologies, the more they need to adapt their data governance capabilities to support these effort. As this happens, the concept of governance extends not just to data and traditional concepts of data governance, but also to governance of processes, analytics, and decision making. My presentation at the Data Governance in Financial Services Conference was on this topic (Governing the transformation of data into results, aka the Data to Dollars Value Chain).
With the importance of governance fresh on my mind, here are 8 recommended books on data governance. My team and our clients find these books very helpful in approaching both the traditional data governance functions and as well as next-generation data governance challenges. You may find these books helpful as well.
- The Data Governance Imperative by Steve Sarsfield, a respected industry veteran like the other authors on this list. His book is practical and readible...very helpful on a key subject, data governance, which is an important place to start.
- The DAMA Guide to the Data Management Body of Knowledge (DAMA-DMBOK) Print Edition -- More comprehensive than other books, this is the definitive collection of data management knowledge from the leading association dedicated to this topic (DAMA). Also Available on CD!
- Executing Data Quality Projects: Ten Steps to Quality Data and Trusted Information (TM) by Danette McGilvray. Practical, step by step approach to Data Quality. Comprehensive yet Practical. You can customize this to projects and get a lot done!
- Data Governance: How to Design, Deploy and Sustain an Effective Data Governance Program by John Ladley
- Big Data Governance: An Emerging Imperative by Sunil Soares.
- Data Stewardship: An Actionable Guide to Effective Data Management and Data by David Plotkin.
- Master Data Management (The MK/OMG Press) by David Loshin. Contains an excellent combination of frameworks and practical details. An good start to your reading on Master Data Management.
- Data Quality: The Accuracy Dimension (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems): shorter than other data quality books, but excellent.